In the third year, there are 30 ECTS free choice available for Chemistry students and 20 ECTS for Chemical Engineering students. This free choice must be filled with courses that together form a coherent whole. This is called the minor. A minor can be done in any area expertise, within or outside the faculty.

The University of Groningen offers a few possibilities for your minor:

  1. Deepening minor: Science for Scientists. This minor consists of courses within the area of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. This minor is meant for students who like to deepen their knowledge of their own study. The courses of this minor can be found on the Ocasys page of the bachelor.
  2. Broadening minor
    1. Faculty Minor: these are minor programmes set up in such a way that they can be followed by all students of the FSE.
      1. Biomedical Sciences and Behavioral- and Neurosciences
      2. Ecology and Evolution
      3. Pharmaceutical Sciences
      4. Molecular Life Sciences
    2. University Minor: These minors can be followed by all students of the university and are suited for students who look for something completely different in their minor. You can find a list of all University Minors here. Please note that not all of these minors are in English!
  3. Educational minor: this minor is for Dutch students only and allows them to get a ‘beperkte tweedegraads bevoegdheid’ for teaching.
  4. Put together your own minor: for this you will have to request permission from the Board of Examiners. Contact the study advisor about this.
  5. Doing you minor abroad.

If you want to do your minor abroad, start early! Contact the study advisor and the International Exchange Office (, BB 5161.0050, open office hours: Tuesday & Thursday, 10.00h – 12.00h).

If you wish to do courses that are not on the list for any of the specified minors, you will have to request permission from the Board of Examiners. To do this you will first have to contact the study advisor.

Please note that as the Chemical Engineering minor is divided over three periods and only consists of 20 ECTS, it is very hard to do a programme outside what is offer by the programme. Chemical Engineering students can do the Science for Scientists minor or can choose to do a research project for 10 or 15 ECTS. If you want to do other courses, you will have to request permission from the Board of Examiners.

More information about the minor can be found on the Student Portal