The University of Groningen offers a few possibilities for your minor:
- Deepening minor: Science for Scientists. This minor consists of courses within the area of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering. This minor is meant for students who like to deepen their knowledge of their own study. The courses of this minor can be found on the Ocasys.
- Broadening minor: also called University minors. These minors can be followed by all students of the university and are suited for students who look for something completely different in their minor. You can find a list of all University Minors here. Please note that not all of these minors are in English.
- Educational minor: this minor is for Dutch students only and allows them to get a ‘beperkte tweedegraads bevoegdheid’ for teaching. More information can be found here.
- Put together your own minor: You can assemble your own minor if you want. To do so you will have to request permission from the Board of Examiners. Contact the academic advisor for more information.
- Doing you minor abroad. If you want to do your minor abroad, start early! Contact the academic advisor and the International Exchange Office around the start of the second year to see what the possibilities are.
More general information about the minors can be found here.
If you wish to do courses that are not on the list for any of the specified minors, you will have to request permission from the Board of Examiners. To do so, it is best to first contact the Academic Advisor.
As Chemical Engineering has only 5 ECTS free choice. It is very hard for Chemical Engineers to do something outside their programme. If they want to do something else it should be extracurricular. you can contact the Academic Advisor about the possibilities.
If you are not entirely sure what minor you should choice. You can check the student experience page to look at how different students experienced their minor.